Wednesday, August 2, 2006

I wish I knew how to quit you...

Willing to sound remotely Brokeback...I love the Sportsguy. Not in a NAMBLA sense, or even a prison sense. It's totally a level of respect for the genius that is he. He writing is like an autumn day:clear and crisp (told you I may sound Brokeback). How can you not enjoy reading what this man writes? In his own attempt to make a word happen, Bill Simmons' stuff is simply filthy!

Today, he does it again. Comparing his lifetime idol, Larry Bird, to his current idol, Big Papi David Ortiz. That takes balls, my friend. It's hard to admit when your boyhood idol is starting to seem only slightly bigger than the man of the moment. However, true to his roots, Bird is found as one who cannot be passed, only joined at the top...and Simmons is clear that Papi isn't there...yet.

Here's a sample of their comparison on different levels...

Popularity in Boston: I never thought
anyone could be more popular with Boston males than Bird in the mid-'80s ... but
the lovable, larger-than-life Ortiz manages to hit the kids/females/old ladies
demo as well. Seriously, if NESN started running "Big Papi" cartoons on Saturday
mornings, would you even be surprised? SLIGHT EDGE: ORTIZ.


How can you deny the insight that this man brings? People WOULD watch Papi cartoons on NESN! I know I would...if I had NESN...Still, you'll have to go read the article for more.

Are you pickin' up what he's puttin' down?

btw...Papi is pretty unbelieveable!

No comments: